Applications are being accepted for the temporary position of Seasonal Trails Operator within Parks and Recreation. Reporting to the Supervisor, Turf and Sport Fields, the successful candidate will perform duties related, but not limited to, parks events and trails maintenance and related services within the City’s parks in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week Monday to Friday 7 am to 3 pm. The anticipated duration of this position would be April to October.
- Perform duties related to parks events and trails maintenance and related services within the City’s parks while working outdoors in all types of weather conditions
- Groom all trails within the City and perform daily inspections on trails; make minor repairs to trail washouts and cut back weed growth
- Perform litter, brush and garbage pick up
- Operate various types of maintenance equipment and vehicles such as pickup truck with trailer, rototiller, blowers, shovels, rakes, string trimmer, chainsaw, chipper , box grader, lawnmowers, power washers, large mowers, agricultural tractors, front-end loaders, Bob cat skid steer , and small equipment including auxiliary attachments as required, in a safe and efficient manner
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, and perform daily circle checks and report defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner
- Lead part-time staff and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of tools and equipment, and maintenance practices
- Comply with requirements of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, The Highway Traffic Act, all Federal, Provincial and City regulations, policies and procedures
- Remove and/or flag obstacles hazardous to employees or the public or that interfere with the safe operation of vehicles or equipment, and duly note and report such conditions to a Lead hand or Supervisor
- Maintain daily written records of work related activities
- Complete daily activity time sheets; Report on variances in daily work plans
- Immediately report vandalism, mechanical difficulties, damage and hazardous conditions
- Actively participate in a team environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 6 – 12 months experience performing trail maintenance activities and operating related trail maintenance equipment in a relevant setting. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record
- Proven experience and knowledge relevant to trail/park maintenance and landscape maintenance/construction activities
- Thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of relevant equipment, including the attachments
- Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties
- Must be a reliable self-starter, able to make decisions and function with minimal supervision, as well, work as part of a team, and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly
- Must possess good oral and written communication skills; able to deal with the public in a cordial manner
- Must be able to perform the physical demands of the job including lifting, kneeling and shovelling and be able to actively participate in daily activities, work within live traffic conditions and in all types of weather conditions
- Must possess an understanding of the MTO’s Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation
$ 24.29 per hour
Applications must be received online by March 7th, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.