Resumes are being accepted for the part-time position of By-Law Compliance Officer. The successful candidate will demonstrate the necessary skills with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work:
This is a casual part-time position working a maximum of 20 hours per week. Various shifts would be required including nights, days, weekends.
- Ensure compliance with specified City by-laws either on foot patrol, bicycle or on mobile patrol, both proactively and reactively
- Conduct random and scheduled on-site inspections
- Assist other agencies with respect to investigations involving City by-laws
- Dispatch duties including receiving and addressing public and other agency requests for compliance on City by-laws
- Maintain detailed and accurate records
- Represent the City in Court
- Respond to complaints and public inquiries, both verbally and in writing
- Public Relations activities
- Serve the public at City facilities where required
- Provide Security type duties for City facilities where required
- Provide back up support to crossing guard operations as needed
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post secondary diploma program in Law and Security or Police Foundations and 1 – 2 years experience in law enforcement or security work. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must have a valid Class G driver’s licence and a good driving record
- Municipal by law enforcement experience would be a definite asset
- Knowledge of municipal by-laws and the Provincial Offences Act would be an asset
- Must be a self-motivated, self-disciplined worker
- Possess excellent leadership, team, and communication skills and present a pleasant demeanor with the public
- Excellent customer service skills with sound judgment and decision making skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the job which includes walking, sitting and standing for extended periods of time
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
- A satisfactory Police Record Check (including vulnerable sector screening) would be required at time of offer
Hourly rate: $27.40 per hour
Applications must be received online by Thursday March 14th, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.