Corporate Analyst- Property Tax
Guelph, ON, CANADA;
Accounting and Finance ; Analysis and Research, Accounting and Finance ; Corporate Finance, Accounting and Finance ; Tax Accounting
Government and Public Sector
Job Career Level:
Apr 9, 2013
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city. |
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Corporate Analyst – Property Tax within the Finance Department. Reporting to the Manager of Taxation and Revenue, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting the Manager with policy development, report writing, management of assessment base and collections. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Occasional evening work would be required to attend meetings.
• Leads the development of tax policies, reports and by-laws for submission to Council.
• Prepares forecasts for critical corporate tax related items such as assessment growth, supplementary tax revenue, Payment-in-Lieu of taxes, assessment appeals and tax write offs.
• Recommends, implements and maintains the appropriate controls to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all property tax related billings and collections.
• Ensures compliance with all provincial legislation relating to property taxes.
• Oversees the collection of all tax arrears in accordance with the City’s collection policies and procedures.
• Responds to inquiries from staff, members of Council and the general public on tax matters.
• Prepares tax schedules for the Financial Information Return.
• Assists in the protection and enhancement of the assessment base through research and analysis to maximize revenues.
• Ensures that a high level of customer service is delivered on a fair and consistent basis to all customers.
• Assume duties of Manager of Taxation and Revenue in their absence
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Considerable experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through completion of a University Degree or Diploma in Business, Finance, Economics, Real Property Assessment or a related discipline and considerable experience in a municipal tax environment including billing, collections and customer service. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Successful completion of the Municipal Tax Administration Program.
• AMCT, CMO, CMTP, A.I.M.A. designation would be a definite asset.
• An accounting designation would be an asset.
• Extensive knowledge of municipal finance-related legislation/regulations including the Municipal Act, Assessment Act, and property taxation, as well as the sale of land for tax arrears procedures.
• Demonstrates a clear understanding of all aspects of municipal taxation and a general knowledge of municipal administration and accounting.
• Proven analytical, organizational, project/time management, problem solving, negotiation and report writing skills.
• Excellent interpersonal, customer service, staff leadership and supervisory skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment and to prioritize to meet inflexible deadlines.
• Knowledge of Vailtech, JD Edwards or relevant financial software would be an asset.
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
Rate: $66, 192.64 - $82,740.80
Applications must be received online by May 1, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.