2013 Summer General Labourer - Parks, Sports Fields & Forestry
Guelph, ON, CANADA;
Skilled Trades and Labour ; General Labour, Skilled Trades and Labour ; Landscaping, Skilled Trades and Labour ; Other Skilled Trades and Labour Jobs
Agriculture, Horticulture and Fishery, Environmental, Forestry
Job Career Level:
Student , Entry Level , Experienced
May 1, 2013
2013 SUMMER GENERAL LABOURERS –
PARKS, SPORTS FIELDS & FORESTRY
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
The City of Guelph is looking for hardworking, motivated team players to work in the Parks, Sports Fields & Forestry for the summer of 2013. The position will begin in May and terminate at the end of August. Reporting to the Supervisor of Turfs and Sports Field, the employee will be involved in the maintenance of hundreds of hectares of parkland and open space within the City of Guelph.
- This position is responsible for duties related, but not limited to turf and/or sports field maintenance within the City’s parklands and greenways, and road allowances
- Safe & efficient operation, care and maintenance of tools, equipment and vehicles (i.e. grass cutting machines, tractors, trucks, front-end loaders, water tanks, and small equipment including all auxiliary attachments)
- Perform daily circle checks on all equipment and reporting defects to the immediate supervisor
- Maintain daily written records of work-related activities
- Apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of all duties, in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Transportation Act and policies of the Corporation
- Communicate courteously with the public and where necessary refer them to a permanent staff member
The Parks Labourers will assist with the repair and maintenance of park assets (e.g. fences, park furniture, signs & landscape items)
The Forestry position will be responsible for duties related but not limited to the care and culture of young trees on City owned property:
- Safe and efficient operation, care and maintenance of tools, equipment and vehicles (e.g. water trailer, pruning saws, pruning pole, required to water, remove weeds, plant and maintain young trees on schedule basis.
- Valid G or G2 Driver’s licence, with a driver’s abstract indicating a good driving record and a minimum of 2 years driving experience for positions that are required to drive a City vehicle. Note: Applicants with an unsafe driving record of 6 or more demerit points will not be considered
- Previous work experience in forestry, landscaping, horticulture, farming working at a nursery/conservation area or other related experience is preferred
- Experience operating farm equipment is an asset
- Related post secondary education in Landscape Design and Construction, Forestry, Horticulture or Turf would also be preferred
- Ability to operate small tools and equipment (lawnmowers, weed eaters, power tools etc) is an asset
- Must be a reliable team player, able to work with & without direct supervision
- Must be motivated, hard working individual able to work outside in all weather (hot, dusty, cold and wet)
- Must be able to perform physical work
- Emergency First Aid and CPR is a requirement (training is offered)
- Shift and weekend work is required for some positions
- These positions work 40 hours per week.
PLEASE NOTE: first consideration will be given to those applicants who apply by May 5th, however applications will be accepted until May 12th.
Applications must be received online by Sunday, May 12th, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow.