CORPORATE ANALYST (2 positions available)
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Corporate Analyst within the Financial Planning Division of the Finance Department. Reporting to the Manager of Financial Planning & Budgets, the successful candidate will be primarily responsible for assisting City departments with financial support and analysis in the areas of budget preparation, monitoring expenditures, revenues and ensuring proper quality controls are followed consistently and in accordance with policies, procedures and service level commitments. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:30 am and 4:30 pm. Flexibility would be required to attend evening meetings and to meet departmental needs.
• Develop a solid understanding of designated department(s) business activities and how they impact financial processes and planning and ensure ongoing regular communication of financial matters between the Finance Division and designated department staff.
• Assist designated department(s) in the development of operating and capital budgets.
• Assist designated department(s) in the development and preparation of all budget documentation and financial presentations as required.
• Assist designated department(s) and Senior Analysts with the preparation of multi-year forecasts.
• Review the financial performance of designated department(s) including monthly variance analysis and interim financial reporting.
• Assist designated department staff and senior corporate analysts with financial analysis on major asset additions
• Provide financial advice on grant applications to designated department(s).
• Assist designated department(s) with user fee and rate analysis (if applicable).
• Attend designated departmental management meetings to understand emerging financial needs.
• Review financial implications of Council Committee Reports prior to preview to ensure completeness of information in accordance with approved standards, and ensure Manager is aware of non-routine financial implications.
• Provide training in conjunction with Senior Corporate Analysts on the City’s financial, asset maintenance and budgeting systems.
• Participate in financial planning team meetings.
• Complete special projects or other duties as required.
• Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through completion of a University Degree in Finance/Accounting or related field, senior standing in a professional accounting designation and considerable experience in a related financial planning role, preferably within the public sector. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Proven analytical, organizational, project management and report writing skills.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders. including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing.
• Advanced skills with financial reporting software, JD Edwards experience preferred.
• Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work independently and to prioritize to meet strict deadlines
• Ability to attend meetings at offsite locations as required
• Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act
SALARY: $66, 192.64 - $82,740.80
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be received online Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013. Please note you will be required to complete a short online questionnaire specific to this position as part of the application process. To apply for this position click on the “Apply for this Job” icon, instructions will follow. For more information and to access this online posting, please visit our website at:
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.