Title: CONTROLLER, REAL ESTATE, PRAIRIE REGION
Location: CALGARY, AB
Closing Date: Friday, November 16, 2012
Are you a dynamic person who is challenged by a growing market? We have exciting opportunities that will allow you to grow your career as we grow our business!
GWL Realty Advisors is a leading Canadian real estate investment advisor providing comprehensive asset management, property management, development and specialized real estate advisory services to pension funds and institutional clients. With assets under management in North America of $13.2 billion, GWL Realty Advisors seeks to deliver strong returns for its investors.
With in-depth local expertise in major Canadian markets, GWL Realty Advisors is the trusted partner for real estate advice and services. A strong experienced fiduciary, the company’s mission is to delivers stable, long-term returns for its clients.
GWL Realty Advisors is committed to investing in our employees. We provide a high-performance culture that fosters innovation and rewards contribution.
GWL Realty Advisors is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Great-West Life Assurance Company. For further information, visit our website at www.gwlra.com
Thank you for your interest in joining the GWL Realty Advisors team. Successful candidates whose skills and interests fit the opportunity will be contacted.
Reporting to the Director, Finance, Prairie Region, the successful candidate will fill the permanent full-time position of Controller, Real Estate Suburban located at our Prairie Region office. Working in a team based environment, this supervisory position will have times where hands-on involvement is required. The Controller will oversee the real estate accounting for the Suburban portfolio, which includes office, retail, and industrial assets in Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, and Houston.
The Controller will lead and support a team of five individuals through the following activities in accordance with GWL Realty Advisors’ Policies and Procedures:
• Accurate and timely maintenance of the general ledger, including review and accrual of revenue, operating expenses, and capital expenditures, ensuring all items are accounted for in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), industry standards, and property specific leases;
• Accurate and timely posting of rent rolls and ancillary revenue;
• Monitoring and controlling capital asset accounting for leasing transactions, building repairs, and the construction of new projects;
• Completion of full-year estimates and annual operating budgets with the Leasing, Development, Property Management and Asset Management Teams;
• Completion of year-end working paper files for external audit;
• Completion of final recovery billings;
• Cash flow forecasting;
• Accurate and timely completion of all required reports;
• Review of CTI tenant lease abstracts for accuracy and data integrity;
• Participation in an anticipated ERP systems conversion, and;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Accounting designation (CA, CMA, CGA);
• Post secondary education in Business and Accounting;
• Minimum of 8 years full cycle experience in commercial real estate accounting including final recoveries, year end audits, and lease interpretation;
• Minimum of 4 years supervisory experience;
• Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook;
• Strong ERP systems experience (working with the CTI Property Management System or in an AS400 environment preferable);
• Knowledge of Realm BUDGET software beneficial, but not required, and;
• In possession of or willing to complete the required course work for a Real Estate Council of Alberta Associate license.
• Detail oriented; analytical; good problem solving skills;
• Ability to manage multiple priorities within tight deadlines;
• Superior oral and written skills;
• Appreciation and willingness to work within a standard set of parameters;
• Ability to work independently as well as with a team framework;
• Energetic, deadline driven and a self starter