Winnipeg, MB, CANADA; London, ON, CANADA; Toronto, ON, CANADA;
Technology and Digital Media ; Network Security and Infrastructure
Insurance, Management Consulting, Technology Services
Job Career Level:
Number Of Positions:
Mar 22, 2013
Websphere Administrators have responsibilities at both the project and global technology levels. They may participate in technology research or implementation projects, as well as application development projects. At the project level, Websphere Administrators work closely with services sponsors and project team staff to ensure effective technology solutions are being designed and implemented. Websphere Administrators participate in direction setting within the technology centre, which contributes to technology services standards.
- Provide technical expertise to projects and support teams with emphasis on constructing solutions through integration of infrastructure and applications including 3rdparty products
- Support the development of implementation strategies and plans including identification of technical work packages, dependencies, estimates and schedules
- Produce detailed infrastructure design and develop technical specifications for target environment(s), including all appropriate documents
- Support procurement activities including development of requests for acquisition
- Build and configure technology solutions as dictated by the non-functional requirements
- Support target environments during build, software packaging and distribution, testing, and implementation phases
- Document operational and recovery procedures
- Transition solutions to production
- Contribute to training strategies and business implementation planning
- Provide technology leadership to business partners and IS staff
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Degree/diploma in technology related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 plus years experience implementing or supporting technology infrastructure
- Demonstrated ability to design technology implementations
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated oral/written communications and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated customer service skills
- Proven ability to write effective documentation that is clear and meaningful to the target audience
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Effective internal consulting skills with a strong customer service orientation
- Attention to detail and effective planning and organizational skills
- Technical specialization in the following areas:
Application Platform Technologies:
- 3 plus years experience in the design, management, deployment and administration of Java/J2EE/JVM servers including the following products:
- WebSphere Application Server, WebSphere Portal, Tomcat
- Good understanding of the Java EE application model, including EJBs, JSP, HTTP sessions and servlets
- Good understanding of Java technologies such as JDBC, JMS, JNDI and JAAS
- Knowledge in the characteristics of clustered implementation and failover techniques of Java application servers
- Is familiar with the use of scripts for automation of operational procedures
- Demonstrated experience with performance tuning, capacity planning and troubleshooting of Java application servers
- Good understanding of basic internet concepts such as firewalls, load balancers, DNS, web browsers, TCP/IP, SSL, Web Services and HTTP
- Experience with BMC Bladelogic for automated provisioning would be beneficial
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of 12 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We foster a culture where a wide range of professionals – in finance, accounting, general business and actuarial disciplines, for example – are learning, growing, and shaping their careers to achieve their personal and professional goals.
We’re an organization that cares for our customers, our staff and our communities. You can grow your career with us while giving, growing and connecting with the world around us.
There’s more than meets the eye with our organization. We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
Discover your opportunity. Apply with cover letter and resume before April 12, 2013.
We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.