Title: national environmental health and safety specialist
Location: TORONTO, ON
Closing Date: May 24, 2013
Are you passionate about Health and Safety? We are looking for a dynamic person to join our team!
GWL Realty Advisors is a leading Canadian real estate investment advisor providing comprehensive asset management, property management, development and specialized real estate advisory services to pension funds and institutional clients. With assets under management in North America of $14.9 billion, GWL Realty Advisors seeks to deliver strong returns for its investors.
With in-depth local expertise in major Canadian markets, GWL Realty Advisors is the trusted partner for real estate advice and services. A strong experienced fiduciary, the company’s mission is to delivers stable, long-term returns for its clients.
GWL Realty Advisors is committed to investing in our employees. We provide a high-performance culture that fosters innovation and rewards contribution.
GWL Realty Advisors is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Great-West Life Assurance Company. For further information, visit our website at www.gwlra.com
Thank you for your interest in joining the GWL Realty Advisors team. Successful candidates whose skills and interests fit the opportunity will be contacted.
Reporting to the Manager, Occupational Health and Safety Services, the successful candidate will fill the full-time position of National Environmental Health and Safety Specialist. National in scope, this position will maintain and coordinate the continuous improvement of GWL Realty Advisors’ Occupational Health and Safety Management program. This position will be involved in identifying and managing H&S risks as it relates to the real estate portfolio.
• Primary contact for Risk Check; ensure EH&S requirements are being fully understood and required close-out action items are met on time
• Work with Property Management and Corporate Environmental Services Group to monitor and drive programs, including the Asbestos Management Plan and annual re-assessment process; provides guidance when needed
• Assist with remediation processes pertaining to water ingress, mould prevention and management
• Act as a technical resource to the JHSC(s) to support building inspections, accident and incident investigations, corrective action plans
• Coordination and monitoring of site contractor participation as it pertains to Contractor Check
• Advise and monitor the risk control and role risk analysis process requirements
• Assist Construction, Property Management and Technical Services groups to better understand the requirements and risks involved in renovations and regular maintenance; advise in regards to expectations around safety requirements to include Fall Arrest, Working Alone, Electrical and Hot Work Processes
• Support the Security and Life Safety Team in updating and maintaining Emergency Response Plans
• Advise the Property Management teams in regards to PCBs, IAQ, CFCs, Safe Chemical Use and Hazardous Waste
• Assist with completion of reporting for the Environmental Site Approval Registry (ESAR) and Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA) process with MOE, including NPRI/Chem-trac
• Assist in completing Quarterly Compliance reporting
• Ensure timely submission of approved reports & related documentation to government authorities as relates to all reportable occupational health & safety issues
• Capture and trend all Environmental and OHS incidents
• Ensure due diligence defence documentation and files are maintained current
• Be familiar with the ongoing evolution of EH&S methodologies and protocols
• Ensure that any required reporting of occupational health and safety risks is carried out as required by law and provide assistance, where necessary
• Work with National Manager, OHS Services to conduct an annual audit of the Corporate OH&S Program, including property H&S Audits
• Post secondary education; engineering or science related; post graduate qualification in Health and Safety or Environmental discipline; working towards a designation (ie. CRSP) will be considered an asset
• Working knowledge of Canadian laws and regulations regarding occupational health & safety matters; broad experience and in-depth understanding of modern Occupational Health & Safety Management systems and techniques
• Three (3) to five (5) years experience where Occupational Health and Safety has been the primary role
• Experience in facility and/or commercial building operations management would be an asset; emergency response planning
• Strong written, presentation and verbal communication skills; bilingualism will be considered a strong asset
• Aptitude for developing relationships and established interpersonal communications skills
• Able to provide feedback across a wide range of diverse groups
• Mentoring and/or Coaching Skills
• Project Management Skills
• Negotiation Skills
• Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Software