The Technology Solutions Centre within Great West Life is part of the Shared Enterprise Services organization.
Within the Technology Solutions Centre, the DBMS and Content Management Technology Solutions domain offers products and services requiring in-depth expertise in the design, build, test, delivery, support and/or repair of solutions whose primary intent is to:
- store and control access to structured data elements or objects
- present information from diverse sources in a unified way
This domain includes physical data modeling and may include special-purpose database hardware and technologies. Scope includes relational and hierarchical multi-user database systems.
- DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, IMS
- Oracle Universal Content Management (UCM), Lotus Web Content Management (WCM)
As a part of the TSC DBMS/CMS team, you will have project involvement pertaining to architecture, design, and implementation of DBMS platforms with the addition of documentation for these designs to accommodate repeatable builds and production support. Responsibilities also reside within production support services, facilitating the resolution of problems that occur on a day to day basis, while contributing proactively to the team for reduction of future production issues.
The DBA- Technical Support Specialist role is responsible for participating in rotation of 7x24 hr support and consultation of the enterprise DBMS environments.
· Provide technical expertise to projects and support teams with emphasis on constructing solutions through integration of infrastructure and applications including 3rd party products
· Documents and educates other team members on database design and usage
· Ensures quality database implementations from the perspectives of reliability, availability, adaptability, manageability, maintainability, performance and security
· Expected to coach/mentor others and to focus on continuous learning and personal/professional development
· Detailed infrastructure design and development of technical specifications for target environment(s)
· Support target environments during build, testing, and implementation phases
· Document operational and recovery procedure
· Provide technology leadership to business partners and IS staff
· Resolution of day to day production issues
Serves in a 1st on call rotation to provide after hours, weekend, and holiday, support to Application Support and Production Services teams.
· A good understanding of DBMS platform and related Infrastructure configurations
· A solid working knowledge of SQL
· A solid working knowledge of Main Frame technology
· At least one year of database design experience using DB2 and/or IMS
· Knowledge of more than one of these DBMS platforms
· Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
· Strong communication and interpersonal skills
· Ability to act in a leadership capacity with respect to advising on database technology directions on a project team
· A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
· Effective internal consulting skills with a strong customer service orientation
· Attention to detail and effective planning and organizational skills
Together Great-West Life, London Life and Canada Life serve the financial security needs of 12 million people across Canada, with additional operations in Europe and the United States. As members of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies, we’re one of Canada’s leading insurers with interests in life insurance, health insurance, investment and retirement savings. We offer a broad portfolio of financial and benefit plan solutions for individuals, families, businesses and organizations.
We foster a culture where a wide range of professionals – in finance, accounting, general business and actuarial disciplines, for example – are learning, growing, and shaping their careers to achieve their personal and professional goals.
We’re an organization that cares for our customers, our staff and our communities. You can grow your career with us while giving, growing and connecting with the world around us.
There’s more than meets the eye with our organization. We offer a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits, and opportunities for professional and personal development and growth.
Discover your opportunity. Apply with cover letter and resume before May 24, 2013.
We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.