Title: Site supervisor, Security & Life Safety
Location: CALGARY, ALBERTA
Closing Date: June 7, 2013
Are you a dynamic person who is challenged by a growing market? We have exciting opportunities that will allow you to grow your career as we grow our business!
GWL Realty Advisors is a leading Canadian real estate investment advisor providing comprehensive asset management, property management, development and specialized real estate advisory services to pension funds and institutional clients. With assets under management in North America of $14.9 billion, GWL Realty Advisors seeks to deliver strong returns for its investors.
With in-depth local expertise in major Canadian markets, GWL Realty Advisors is the trusted partner for real estate advice and services. A strong experienced fiduciary, the company’s mission is to delivers stable, long-term returns for its clients.
GWL Realty Advisors is committed to investing in our employees. We provide a high-performance culture that fosters innovation and rewards contribution.
GWL Realty Advisors is a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Great-West Life Assurance Company. For further information, visit our website at www.gwlra.com
Thank you for your interest in joining the GWL Realty Advisors team. Successful candidates whose skills and interests fit the opportunity will be contacted.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Security and Life Safety, the successful candidate will fill the full-time position of Site Supervisor Security & Safety at Gulf Canada Square in Calgary, Alberta. The primary responsibility of this position is to manage all daily operations of security and life safety, including supervision, inquiries and emergency response at Gulf Canada Square in accordance to GWL Realty Advisor’s commitment to our tenants. Further, the position is to provide leadership, guidance and direction for security staff, tenants and contractors within the building.
• Monitor on a continual basis tenant and customer satisfaction and attitudes toward security and safety. Fulfill tenant contractual agreements for security and safety by establishing a rapport with Tenants, Contractors and the Public. Actively seeks solutions to problems or concerns
• Supervise security staff and ensure GWLRA standards are complied with in daily operations of the security department including:
o Staff report writing to ensure proper recording of events is taking place.
o Follow up on major incident reports (i.e. Thefts, fire alarms etc.).
o Work with the Supervisor, Security & Life Safety to establish training schedules for the shifts in the building to ensure staff are familiar with and comfortable with:
Emergency Action Plan procedures,
Standard Operating Procedures,
o Ensure all access permits are reviewed for accuracy before being stamped and approved and put into circulation.
o Ensure all communiqués are being forwarded to the staff and that they are read and understood.
• Investigate and solve minor access control, CCTV, and other identified security systems problems.
• Work with the Coordinator, Security & Life Safety to oversee control of the building life safety systems. (I.e. access control, fire alarms, monitoring systems, etc.)
• Review all departmental reports and review for accuracy before forwarding to the Supervisor, Security & Life Safety.
• When required, conduct security assessments of the properties and submit written reports
• Liaise with external agencies. (i.e. Police / Fire / Medical and Security officials) when required.
• Provide training and guidance to Sr. Officers and contract staff where applicable.
• Responsible for emergency management including co-ordinating response in a variety of potential emergency situations
• Co-ordinate departmental activities and incident resolution with the appropriate member of staff to ensure an effective and efficient conclusion
• Maintain effective workforce during periods of turnover and staffing shortages and verify contract billing hours
• Maintain a professional, courteous and customer service oriented attitude
• Responsible for ensuring the First Impressions inspections program is being administered
• Generates purchase orders when needed to facilitate accurate and timely billing to tenants and contractors
• Provide Fire Warden training as per Alberta Fire code requirements
• Interview prospective in-house and contract security staff
• Expected to be on call to assist should an emergency arise that requires additional resources or knowledge
• Other duties as assigned
• Must hold a valid Alberta Security License
• Recognized post secondary education such as a Security Management Certificate, Certified Security Supervisor, etc
• Minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience in the Security and Life Safety and Loss Control Prevention Industry
• Excellent interpersonal and English verbal and written communication skills with a proactive approach to problem solving
• Ability to work in a multi-task environment
• Knowledge and experience with access systems / electronics / CCTV / Fire Safety Equipment/Systems and related procedures
• Experience with physical security and managing a uniformed security officer department
• Demonstrated customer service and time management skills
• Strong computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Card Access Systems, Angus)
• People management skills focusing on on-going development of personnel
• Ability to prioritize job functions under stressful circumstances
• Excellent report writing and note taking skills
• Must be able to work in both a team environment and independently when circumstances call
• Delegation/supervision of work/duties to ensure work projects are completed on time
• Familiarity with Occupational Life & Safety legislation.
• Professional and self motivated
• Certified in First Aid, CPR, AED and WHMIS trained
• Membership in a professional security association is preferred