INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR, Corporate Communications
Halifax, NS, CANADA;
Technology and Digital Media ; Social Media, Customer Service ; Other Customer Service Jobs, Marketing ; Marketing Communications
Government and Public Sector
Job Career Level:
Year(s) of Experience:
Number Of Positions:
Dec 4, 2012
Job Posting Date: December 4 2012
Competition # 12-175N
Internal Communications Advisor
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the permanent position of Internal Communications Advisor. As a member of the Corporate Communications team, the Internal Communications Advisor identifies communications challenges and opportunities within the organization and develops methods of broadly sharing information to improve internal awareness and understanding of HRM’s vision, initiatives, policies and procedures. The incumbent provides professional communications services to HRM business units and corporate projects and priorities by working directly with managers and staff in the design, delivery and oversight of internal communications initiatives. In addition, the position recommends strategic communications approaches and acts as a relationship manager for clients. Developing and maintaining relationships with internal clients and with other Communications team members is essential to the success of this role.
The work location is at 3rd Floor, Duke Tower, 5251 Duke Street, Halifax, NS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manages the end-to-end delivery of innovative and effective communications products, services, and strategies for internal audiences
• Leads Business Unit and Corporate teams in the implementation of internal communications tools and tactics
• Manages brand values for internal communications initiatives
• Develops and executes effective presentations and promotions for internal audiences.
• Prepares or oversees reports, briefs, web content, and other internal communications products.
• Develops strategies to integrate social media into internal communications activities.
• Identifies best practices and emerging strategies within internal communications trends and analyses results of new approaches.
• Successfully delivers assigned projects within budget, on schedule, and in accordance with the established scope of work.
• In consultation with clients, produces effective internal communications proposals.
• Works with clients to develop, implement and evaluate internal communications plans to help them achieve their objectives.
• Responds to client needs by providing effective and economical alternatives and solutions for their internal communications needs.
• Builds clients’ ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all internal audiences and facilitates their understanding of effective internal communications techniques.
• Manages and monitors the progress of multiple projects and reports to clients and other project stakeholders.
• Identifies techniques and strategies for forging and maintaining strong client relationships.
Business / Corporate Support
• Serves as a member of Management Teams and/or provides professional advice to managers regarding internal communications issues or opportunities related to corporate or management issues
• Provides regular strategic communications support to decision-making processes for human resource issues including labour relations, restructuring and realignment initiatives, and business process changes
• Works closely with Business Units and/or corporate project stakeholders on annual communications planning.
• Provides communications input to corporate and business processes (i.e. annual budgets and business plans).
Education and Experience:
• University degree in Public Relations, Communications or a related field and five years of experience working in a communications environment within a large and complex organization.
• An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
• Ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and manage multi-focussed priorities.
• Demonstrated knowledge of communications planning and research skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including document production and editing.
• Excellent customer relations and client management skills.
• Sound knowledge of municipal government and/or previous experience working in a government setting would be considered an asset.
• Excellent computer skills in related software programs including Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access), and internet / intranet software; HTML knowledge would be considered an asset.
• Demonstrated ability in project management.
**Testing will be conducted to assess Technical/Jop Specific Knowledge
Communication, Customer Service Orientation, Flexibility, Networking/Relationship Building, Organization and Planning, Team Work and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity.
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Salary: Non Union Salary Scale - P1 level (Range: $45,000 - $74,500). Salary will commensurate with education and experience.
Closing Date: Applications will be received up to midnight December 15, 2012
As an Employment Equity Employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.