Job Posting Date: January 15, 2013
Competition # 13-004U
Criminal Investigations Division
Halifax Regional Police
The role of the Crime Analyst is to serve the needs of Community Based Policing with the Halifax Regional Police through systematic collection and analysis of data and to disseminate the resulting information products to the Halifax Regional Police personnel in an effective manner, while at all times respecting the confidential nature of the position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collects, collates, and synthesizes crime data from various reports
- Prepares association charts, timelines and presentations
- Analyses data; generates reports in graphic, narrative, and data table information for dissemination
- Develops an intelligence database
- Develops and maintains profiles
- Identifies problem crime areas, determines crime patterns and series
- Provides special crime analysis upon request
- Provides statistical support and analysis
- Liaise with various business stakeholders
- Assists on special projects
- Provides analytical support to all business stakeholders
- Attends court to present police records
- Performs data entry and maintenance in various electronic systems
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
Education and Experience: Grade 12. Some post-secondary education would be considered an asset. Preference will be given to applicants with experience in Criminal Intelligence Analysis and/or Criminal Intelligence (see list of accepted courses that will be considered as part of the Criminal Intelligence experience).
Computer Skills: Extensive knowledge of Versadex Records Management System (RMS), Versadex Crime Analysis Package (VCAP), and Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD); Knowledge of Microsoft Office software, Adobe Acrobat, I2 Analyst’s Notebook, JEIN, ACIIS, RAS and ArcGIS mapping. Ability to learn other information management related software.
Courses and Training that will be considered as part of the Criminal Intelligence experience are:
- Intelligence Analysis Course (CPC)
- I2 Analyst Notebook Course
- Alpha Group Crime Analysis (Forecasting) Course
- Criminal Intelligence Course (CISNS)
- Excel Level I
- ACIIS Training
- ARC GIS Mapping training
- Power Talk
- Strategic Analysis Course (CPC)
- Using the Internet as an Intel Tool (CPC)
- Vetting Courses.
Note: The successful candidate must be willing to continuously maintain and develop their knowledge and skills in this capacity.
COMPETENCIES: Analytical Thinking, Communication, Customer Service, Flexibility, Initiative, Innovation, Networking / Relationship Building, Organization and Planning, Teamwork and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity.
NOTE: Candidates being considered for the position of Crime Analyst must successfully meet the security clearance requirements administered by Halifax Regional Police, which include, but are not limited to, a pre-employment polygraph.
SALARY: $41,716.00 as per the Halifax Regional Police Association Collective Agreement.
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, 40 hours per week
CLOSING DATE: applications will be received up to midnight January 26, 2013
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.