Job Posting Date: January 15, 2013
Competition # 13-006U
CLAIMS AND RISK ANALYST
Risk and Insurance Services
Legal, Insurance and Risk Management Services
Legal, Insurance and Risk Management Services is currently seeking applications for the position of Claims and Risk Analyst with Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM). Reporting to the Manager of Risk and Insurance Management Services, the Claims and Risk Analyst is responsible to adjust telephone claims and assist in the maintenance of HRM's risk management and insurance portfolio.
You must be able to prioritize workloads in order to meet the demands of the Manager and the Risk Section. You must be able to handle multiple priorities while maintaining a high level of quality customer service in a fast paced and team based environment with courtesy, decorum and confidentiality. The work location is Duke Tower, Halifax, NS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inputs and maintains accurate asset data in various databases including iVOS, SAP and Hansen systems
- Responds to and directs enquiries on Division matters in person, over the telephone, and through correspondence with accuracy, professionalism and enthusiasm
- Ensures follow up, where appropriate, using tact, judgment and a high level of confidentiality
- Track and follow up on projects, tasks and Business Plan items for section
- Supports specific technical activities such as procurement process, budget process, web page updates etc.
- Assists with the development and, maintenance of an effective file management system for numerous projects, files, and documents and maintains security and confidentiality of files
- Contributes to team activities and goals, and continuous improvement initiatives
- Provides system administration support of the iVos Insurance Claims system in conjunction with the Manager
- Maintains and updates the Risk and Insurance Website as required
Other duties as assigned
- Under the direction of the Senior Risk and Insurance Analyst, assists in the maintenance and creation of the listing of HRM assets, Management Agreements, Real Estate Transactions, risk management information, current/expired Municipal Insurance Policies, expired policies of former Municipal Units and other documentation as required
- Provides or requests Certificates of Insurance or confirmation of insurance for various internal and external Clients as required
- Under the instruction of the Senior Claims Officer, initiates and follows up on subrogation/recovery claims for damage to HRM infrastructure and assets
- Adjusts physical damage claims to HRM and Third Party property damage. This includes damage caused by construction, pot holes, and minor motor vehicle collisions.
- Sets and maintains adequate reserves
- Arranges for appraisals and/or assignments to independent adjusters as may be required
- Settles claims for physical damage within designated authority
Technical and Competencies:
Education and Experience
- Grade 12 and Business Administration program and 2 years related experience in an administrative position
- Chartered Insurance Professional designation (CIP)
- Experience using the SAP, iVOS and Hansen system will be considered an asset
- Experience in either municipal government or the insurance industry will be considered an asset
- Proficient in the use of computers including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Presentations) and other financial applications as required including SAP and HTML
- Must have a broad & comprehensive knowledge of services provided within the Halifax Regional Municipality
Achievement Motivation/Communication, Customer Service Orientation,, Decision Making, Risk Management, Teamwork and Cooperation, Initiative,Value Diversity
Reports to: Manager, Risk and Insurance Services
Staff and Management of Business Units
HRM employees at various levels both internal and external to Legal, Insurance and Risk Management Services
Adjusters, appraisers, insurance companies, claimants, general public
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Signed acknowledgement of “Handling of Confidential and Sensitive Material” and other signed acknowledgements of HRM Policies and Procedures.
Salary: $26.99 per hr as per the NSUPE Collective Agreement.
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight January 26, 2013
**Testing may be conducted to assess Technical/Job Specific Knowledge.
As an Employment Equity employer; the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen which must be completed in order to be considered for this position.