Administrative Assistant Reception
Halifax, NS, CANADA;
Administrative and Clerical ; Reception and Switchboard, Administrative and Clerical ; Admin Assistance and Coordination
Government and Public Sector
Job Career Level:
Year(s) of Experience:
Number Of Positions:
Jan 17, 2013
Job Posting Date: January 17, 2013
Competition #: 13-012N
Administrative Assistant Reception
Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking application for the position of Administrative Assistant Reception, Mayor's Office.
Reporting to the Administrative Coordinator Mayor’s Office, the Administrative Assistant Reception (‘AAR’) is responsible to provide clerical and administrative services to the Office of the Mayor. The AAR is part of the team in the Mayor’s Office where quality customer service is provided, in a very active, fast-paced working environment, where there is on-going interaction with elected officials, the public and staff at all levels. The AAR requires a high degree of initiative, confidentiality and flexibility with a strong customer service focus and strong communication skills in an administrative and political environment.
The work location is at City Hall.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The main duties and responsibilities are:
• Acts as main internal/external customer contact in the Mayor’s Office;
• Provides receptionist support for all staff;
• Processes and directs inquiries from the public, elected officials and staff (in person, phone, fax and electronically);
• Opens, sorts, and distributes mail, faxes and records in Mayor’s Call Tracking System;
• Composes routine correspondence, performs research activities;
• Ensure consistent administrative procedures are followed as they relate to payment of accounts, request for cheques and invoices;
• Coordinate courier services;
• Maintains inventory control of supplies and office equipment; purchase/orders office supplies;
• Process all purchasing requisitions, and goods received, utilizing electronic purchasing processes (SAP);
• Coordinates and arranges maintenance of office equipment, i.e.: fax, photocopier, etc.;
• Maintain an effective records classification system and bring forward (B/F) system;
• Provides filing assistance to senior staff as needed;
• Prepares Council binder for the Mayor;
• Researches citizen complaints, creatively finds solutions to requests and problems;
• Assists other members of the Mayor’s Office team as required and performs other administrative duties as required and assigned;
• Provide back up support to maintaining Office of the Mayor’s web page;
Education & Experience
• High School Diploma and a business diploma from a recognized institution, plus three years of related experience, or suitable combination of formal education or experience.
• Experience working in a Municipal Government environment with knowledge of services provided.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities
• Must have excellent customer service skills and telephone answering protocol.
• Thorough knowledge of current, effective office procedures.
• Must be Proficient in the use of computers and related software (i.e. Microsoft Suite, Windows, Outlook, etc.).
• Must have a working knowledge of services provided within the Halifax Regional Municipality.
• Knowledge of services offered by HRM would be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of HRM’s Records Classification System or similar system.
• Knowledge of general policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of SAP or similar system.
• Excellent proofreading skills and attention to details.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work with confidential information, prioritize and multi-task.
***Testing will be conducted to assess Technical/Job Specific Knowledge.
Competencies: Communication, Customer Service, Flexibility, Initiative, Organization and Planning, Stress Management, Teamwork and Cooperation; Valuing Diversity.
Reports to: Administrative Coordinator to the Mayor’s Office
All HRM business units,
Councillors, Committee members
General Public, Citizens
Media, Government Officials
This is a term position for a 1 year duration with renewal options. Terms of employment as per established by HRM Human Resources Policies and business practices.
Hours of Work: Regular work schedule is on a 35 hrs per week, Monday to Friday.
Salary: Non Union Salary Scale - A2 . Salary will commensurate with education and experience.
Closing Date: Applications will be received up to midnight January 28, 2013.
As an Employment Equity Employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.