Job Posting Date: January 24, 2013
Community and Recreation Services, Development Approvals
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the permanent position of Business Analyst with Community and Recreation Services, Development Approvals. The Business Analyst is responsible for supporting the Division’s operating performance, quality assurance and alignment with expected service delivery outcomes and priorities through the development and implementation of performance measures and policies. The Business Analyst will also be responsible for researching and evaluating the effectiveness of the Division’s various internal and external service provisions and processes.
The Business Analyst is a subject matter expert in business process re-design and continuous improvement efforts and will have experience in requirements gathering and project support activities.
The work location for this position will be Alderney Gate, 40 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performance Measurement & Quality Assurance:
- Provide Development Approvals Division with performance data for key service areas (as-of-right construction and subdivision approvals, discretionary planning approvals, heritage property and civic addressing programs) to assess service volume and value of outputs;
- Analyze performance in the key service areas and make recommendations on appropriate resources and devise process improvements for each area;
- Provide advice to the Manager, Development Approvals on a wide variety of policy issues affecting the Division such as information and technology improvements, the setting of standards for capacities, service reviews and service levels, and appropriate utilization of alternative service delivery models;
- Develop and manage performance measures and reporting cycles; review standards in accordance with business planning processes and corporate initiatives;
- Train staff to interpret and use the data to ensure the most effective delivery of services;
- Conduct research focusing on developments and best practices within the field, technical standards and procedures, external corporate and other municipal policies and practices, legislation, and initiatives by other levels of government;
- Collect data on other regulatory land development activities and processes and assess any service gaps.
Business Process Re-design:
- Interview stakeholders to understand business challenges and opportunities; understand their business strategy and identify opportunities (business process improvement and/or technology) that either align with or help to enable that strategy;
- Identify and recommend possible efficiency gains to senior management and monitor the organization's progress on achieving the intended benefits;
- Design and produce feasibility plans, project briefs and project initiation documents, where required;
- Work with Division managers to ensure the benefits defined in the business case and subsequent benefit delivery plans are realized, using baseline models and performance statistics;
- Lead cross-functional business process re-design teams and continuous improvement efforts.
- Manage continuous process improvement initiatives. Define and manage initiative scope; identifies and obtains required initiative resources (staff, consultants, etc.).
- Lead the development, on-going improvement, education, and promotion of the tools and methods used in the Business Analysis discipline;
- Provide input into short and long term business plans for the Division;
- Assist Development Approvals Operations Managers with implementing process improvements resulting from data analysis into operational procedures;
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related degree. A suitable combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum five (5) years related work experience in the areas of business planning, performance measurement, data collection and analysis, organizational development, business analysis and service improvements.
- Knowledge of municipal development regulation and planning processes would be considered an asset.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge and Abilities:
- Sound knowledge and skills in business process mapping, process analysis and continuous improvement; quantitative and qualitative measurement;
- Working knowledge of formal process improvement models or frameworks such as Lean, Six Sigma, Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI), etc,;
- Experience in researching, developing and writing reports and correspondence for the consideration of Senior Management;
- Proficiency in the use of current office and workplace technology and other computer applications relevant to the work (e.g. statistical analysis, databases, desktop mapping, research, graphics, etc.);
- Excellent knowledge of standard office software and technology including Microsoft Office Suite, internet / intranet software, diagramming tools such as MS Visio and other similar systems and technology related to the Division (Hansen, etc.), HTML knowledge would be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated ability in project management.
Analytical Thinking, Communication, Customer Service, Innovation, Initiative, Managing Change, Organization and Planning, Teamwork and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity Job Description Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Salary:
Non Union Salary Scale, P2 Level (Range: $54,000 - $87,000) Closing Date:
Applications will be received up to midnight, February 4, 2013.
As an Employment Equity Employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.