Job Posting date: February 14, 2013
Internal / External
Competition #: 13-041U
(1 full time term position- up to 6 months)
The Engineer/Deckhand is responsible to the Supervisor, Ferry Operations. While working on a vessel, the Engineer/Deckhand is functionally responsible to the Vessel's Captain.
Work Location: Alderney/Halifax/Woodside Ferry Terminals
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Engineer/Deckhand shall:
- Conduct duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Ferry Operations Manual and the published ferry schedule.
- Maintain machinery and machinery space cleanliness.
- Maintain main cabin cleanliness, shovel snow from ferry upper decks and spread urea as required to maintain safe conditions for passengers and crew
- Assist Ferry Crew members as directed by the Captain
- Operate overhead doors to facilitate the safe embarkation and disembarkation of passengers
- Perform duties in accordance with the Muster List for each ferry.
- Perform duties in accordance with the Ferry Security Plan for each ferry
- Complete the Engine Room Log at the end of each watch with required information
- Reports any irregularities to the Captain and the Supervisor, Ferry Operations
- When assigned Relief status, assist with planned and corrective maintenance activities at the Woodside maintenance facility; in particular: Paint ferry vessel interior and exterior surfaces; Change belts, fluids and filters; Conduct minor repairs
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor, Ferry Operations
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade XII or equivalent
- Experience with and expertise with Caterpillar diesel engines, Twin Disc marine gearboxes, and Voith-Schneider Propulsion units
- Small Vessel Machinery Operator Certificate
- Current Marine Medical
- Full M.E.D. Certificate (A2, B1, B2, C,D)
- Valid First Aid
- Confined Space Entry Certificate
In addition to specific experience and knowledge necessary for the job, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated strength in, but not limited to, the following HRM competencies:
Customer Service, Communication, Continuous Learning, Initiative, Flexibility, Teamwork and Cooperation, Valuing Diversity.
Rate of Pay: $46,585.00 annually.
- Shift Work. Possible shift adjustments of short notice in response to operational requirements may be required.
- 38.5 hours of work per week
- Ferry environment
- Confined spaces
- Machinery spaces
- Working with the public
- May be exposed to extreme weather
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight February 22, 2013.
The screening process will include a thorough review of applicants attendance, punctuality, reliability and work record.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen which must be completed in order to be considered for this position
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.