Job Posting Date:
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL
Competition # EOI 13-007N
COORDINATOR, PROJECT PLANNING (Temporary, up to 12 months)
Under the general direction of the Supervisor of Service Design & Projects, the Coordinator, Project Planning is accountable for delivering key objectives of Metro Transit by managing the implementation of strategic capital improvements and fostering innovative ways to ensure public transit is integrated into communities in liveable and productive environments.
The position also provides leadership and coordination services in identifying program needs in the transit service delivery area. The Coordinator, Project Planning is responsible for building partnerships with the community and will provide leadership and direction with processes related to engaging the public in transit planning, design and service delivery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to create action plans which will provide for transit service improvements and expansion;
- Provides project management of specific projects including the supervision and coordination of capital improvements and construction projects;
- Coordinates the implementation of capital works with other HRM business units;
- Creates detailed work plans; identifies project costs, deliverables, resources and schedules for implementation
- Participates in the development of procedures and methods for reporting and analysis of data to establish trends, measure performance, and indicate needs for service improvements;
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on technical aspects of transit planning and/or capital programming;
- Provides insight in the multi-year capital plan and recommends projects for inclusion;
- Develops and evaluates proposals for planning and coordinating the implementation of transit route and service changes;
- Seeks out and identifies opportunities for federal, provincial and local funding for public transit initiatives;
- Prepares, analyses, and evaluates reports (including Council reports) for various public transit projects;
- Represents Metro Transit through presentations to the community, business and other internal/external stakeholders;
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Transportation Planning, Transportation Engineering, Urban Planning or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Three to five years related experience in transportation/transit planning;
- Familiarity with transit system design criteria and industry standards;
- Training and experience in project management;
- Knowledge of public transit and transportation planning/engineering principles;
- Strong ability to plan, organize and coordinate work with project teams;
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
Behavioural competencies may include, but are not limited to:
Organization & Planning, Analytical Thinking, Communication, Customer Service, Initiative,Teamwork & Cooperation
***Testing may be conducted to assess Technical/Job Specific Knowledge.
Hours of Work: 35 Hours Per Week, Monday to Friday. Additional hours may be required due to project schedules, including the attendance of evening public meetings.
Rate of pay: P1-Non-Union Salary Scale ($45,000-$74,500). Salary will commensurate with education and experience.
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight February 25, 2013
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen which must be completed in order to be considered for this position.
po # 72284255