Ferry Mate - Term Up to 3 Months
Halifax, NS, CANADA;
Skilled Trades and Labour ; Other Skilled Trades and Labour Jobs, Customer Service ; Customer Support and Service
Marine and Maritime
Job Career Level:
Year(s) of Experience:
Number Of Positions:
Feb 21, 2013
Job Posting Date: February 21, 2013
Expression of Interest: EOI 13-008U
Ferry Mate - Term (up to 3 months)
The Ferry Mate is administratively responsible to the Supervisor, Ferry Operations. While working on a vessel, the Ferry Mate is functionally responsible to the Ferry’s Captain for all aspects of the operation of the vessel to which they are assigned, including measures to ensure the safety of the vessel and passengers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Ferry Operations Manual and the published ferry schedule
• When directed by a Ferry Captain, safety navigate, berth, depart and communicate in accordance with the Collision Regulations, Halifax Harbour regulations and Marine Communications and Traffic Services Halifax direction
• Maintain upper deck cleanliness, shovel snow and spread urea when required to maintain safe conditions for passengers and crew
• Assist other Ferry Crew members as directed by the Captain
• Operate hydraulic ramps to facilitate the safe embarkation and disembarkation of ferry passengers
• Perform emergency duties in accordance with the Muster List for each ferry
• Perform security duties in accordance with the Ferry Security Plan for each ferry
• Reports any irregularities to the Captain and the Supervisor, Ferry Operations
• Other duties as required
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
• Completion of Grade XII or equivalent
• Experience with marine electronic equipment
• Experience and demonstrated expertise with Voith-Schneider propulsion
• Minimum (2) two years experience in a marine operation
• Transport Canada Chief Mate, 500 Gross Tonnage, Domestic
• Current Marine Medical
• Full M.E.D. Certificate (A2, B1, B2, C, D)
• Current valid First Aid
• Restricted Operator Certificate
• Current Confined Space Entry Certificate
In addition to specific experience and knowledge necessary for the job, the individual will require demonstrated strength in, but not limited to, the following HRM competencies:
Customer Service, Communication, Continuous Learning, Initiative,
Flexibility, Teamwork & Cooperation, Valuing Diversity
• Shift Work in accordance with schedule requirements. 38.5 hours per week.
• Possible shift adjustments of short notice in response to operational requirements may be required.
• Ferry and terminal environment
• Confined spaces
• Working with the public
• May be exposed to extreme weather.
WORK LOCATION: Metro Transit ferries, Alderney/Halifax/Woodside Terminals
Salary: $56,598 as per the ATU Local 508 CA
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight, February 27, 2013
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.