Job Posting Date: March 21, 2013
Internal / External
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for (one) 1 permanent Hostler position with Metro Transit's Fleet Services. Under the direction of the Superintendent of Fleet Services, Metro Transit, the Hostler will perform service work on the Transit Fleet. The work location is the Ragged Lake Transit Centre, 110 Grassy Lake Drive, Halifax.
- Grade 12 or equivalent education and experience;
- Two year’s experience in the servicing of fleet vehicles (e.g. checking oils, fluids, coolant, fuelling, cleaning and general operation);
- Ability to obtain a Class 2 driver’s license;
- Possess a valid driver’s license, with a good driving record (applicants are required to submit a current driver’s abstract before appointment);
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Good attendance and work record, including punctuality and reliability;
- Must work Holidays that fall on scheduled workdays;
- Must be bondable;
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Garage environment with possible exposure to dust, fumes, noise, etc.;
- Indoor/Outdoor work environment;
- Physical demands include the following:
Duration (see below for details)
Occasional to Frequent
Frequent (up to 25 lbs)
Occasional (up to 50 lbs)
Occasional (up to 25 lbs)
None - Not at All; Occasional - 1 to 2.5 hrs; Frequent - 2.5 to 5.5 hrs
WORKING HOURS: 7:00 pm to 3:00 am, Sunday to Thursday (40 hours per week). Days off Friday and Saturday.
WORK LOCATION: Ragged Lake Transit Centre, 110 Grassy Lake Drive, Halifax.
SALARY: $22.04 per hour as per the Collective Agreement between Halifax Regional Municipality and the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 508.
The selection process may include written, oral and functional testing, if required.
The screening process will include a thorough review of the applicants attendance, punctuality, reliability, work record and references.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: In addition to specific experience and knowledge necessary for the job, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated strength in, but not limited to, the following HRM competencies:
Customer Service; Teamwork & Cooperation; Communication; Valuing Diversity; Achievement Motivation; Organization and Planning; Flexibility; Initiative.
CLOSING DATE: applications will be received until midnight, March 27, 2013
This position is posted internally and externally; however, first consideration will be given to qualified internal candidates.
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen which must be completed in order for your application to be considered for this position.