Halifax, NS, CANADA;
Human Resources and Recruitment ; Employee Relations
Government and Public Sector
Job Career Level:
Mar 26, 2013
Job Posting Date: March 26, 2013
Competition #: 13-073N
Human Resources Consultant
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the creation of an eligibility list for the position of Human Resources Consultant.
An eligibility list will be created from this competition and is effective until July 31, 2013. Vacancies / overstaffing / secondments that occur before July 31, 2013 will be filled from this eligibility list.
Under the direction of the Manager - HR Client Services, the Human Resources Consultant is responsible for the delivery of front-line human resource services as part of the Client Services team assigned to the HRM business units.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Working with the Client Services Team and the business unit, the HR Consultant will:
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the structure, culture, business plan and priorities of assigned business units ensuring HR programs are in line with business unit priorities.
- Provide broad HR advice and expertise in all areas of HR, including performance / attendance management, recruitment / selection, orientation / training, health, safety and wellness, change management, workplace diversity, and succession management.
- Provide consultative services with respect to staffing decisions and processes, determine appropriate selection tools for job competitions and promotional routines and conduct competition audits.
- Ensure staffing and related activities comply with collective agreements, legislation and HRM policy, as well as support applicable workplace diversity objectives.
- Identify, develop, and implement training needs based on client business plans and employee performance development plans.
- Provide career counselling and other counselling services to employees.
- Participate in corporate-wide HR initiatives and support the development of improved client services across HR.
- Represent Human Resources on various committees within HRM.
- Conduct assessments and propose improvements / changes to methods, systems, procedures, and policies.
- Carry out related projects and duties as assigned.
- University Degree or Accredited College Diploma with course exposure in Business Management, Labour Relations, Staffing and Training and Development. Suitable combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Must have a minimum of two years' demonstrated experience in the human resources profession.
- Must be proficient in computer software programs, such as Excel, Word, and Presentations, etc.
- Must have a proven record of professionalism and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Extensive knowledge of HR practices.
- Experience working in a diverse and decentralized, unionized organization. Thorough knowledge of applicable NS Legislation, effective recruitment and selection practices, principles of diversity in the workplace.
- Demonstrated experience supporting organizational design processes, workforce planning initiatives, and attendance management.
- Demonstrated experience developing innovative selection tools.
- CHRP designation an asset.
- SAP experience is an asset
Achievement Motivation, Communication, Customer Service, Flexibility, Teamwork and Cooperation, and Valuing Diversity.
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday
SALARY: Level P1 of the Non-Union Salary Ladder, salary will commensurate with education and experience.
CLOSING DATE: applications will be received up to midnight April 8, 2013
Once resumes are screened, candidates will be required to participate in testing that will assist in determining the ideal incumbent.
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HR encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire will appear on your screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.
position # 72293162, 72285570, 72283143, 72283144, 72293161