Job Posting Date: March 26, 2013
TEAM LEAD, YOUTH LIVE (ENVIRO DEPOT) - Temporary, up to 12 Months
Community and Recreation Services
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the temporary position of Team Lead, Youth Live (Enviro Depot) with Halifax Regional Municipality. Reporting to the Operations Coordinator, the Team Lead is responsible for supervising a work group of youth at risk participants, ensuring safe work practices are consistently followed in carrying out operational plans. The Team Lead provides continuous coaching, guidance, support and supervision to youth at risk who have barriers to employment to assist them in developing their job and life skills.
The work location for this position is 947 Mitchell Street, Halifax.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides coaching, guidance, support and direction to youth at risk work group in a labour intensive environment.
- Guides youth at risk in the practical development of job and life skills.
- Acts as first responder in the complaint resolution process for youth at risk.
- Completes formal and informal assessments on youth at risk job skill development and workplace behaviour.
- Ensures youth at risk follow program guidelines, takes corrective or disciplinary action as required (up to suspension from program).
- Supervises the completion of internal facility cleaning, maintenance and repairs.
- Maintains a healthy and safe workplace, ensuirng all Occupational Health and Safety requirements are followed.
- Develops and executes daily work plans in assigned operation.
- Inspects equipment and reports any deficiencies and potential safety hazards.
- Completes the daily vehicle checklist and reports any deficiencies and potential safety hazards.
- Completes quality assurance audits on count and sort of refundable beverage containers.
- Inventory control of refundable beverage containers processed for refund.
- Coordinates packing and shipping of refundable beverage containers.
- Completes Commercial Recycling Pick-up services and Organic Green Cart delivery and repair work orders. Responsible for documenting work order information used to create customer invoices.
- Authorizes and issues cash payments to Enviro Depot customers.
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary degree in Social Science. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum three (3) years supervisory experience.
- Minimum three (3) years working with youth.
- Must possess a Nova Scotia Driver's License with a driving abstract that meets the requirements of the position.
- Must be able to successfully complete a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check and Child Abuse Registry.
Technical/Job Specific Knowledge:
- Experience operating a larger vehicle (up to 10 tons or 9000 kgs) considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of computer programs including MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Access.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to trouble shoot and problem solve in a fast-paced, stressful working environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively handle escalated and difficult customers.
- Ability to supervise a constantly changing and inexperienced youth at risk work group in a labour intensive environment.
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 lbs.
***Testing may be conducted to assess Technical/Job Specific Knowledge.
Competencies: Communication, Conflict Management, Customer Service, Developing Others, Stress Management, Team Leadership, Valuing Diversity
Hours of Work: 35 Hour Week, Monday to Saturday. Work outside these is hours is occasionally required to address operational demands.
Salary: Non Union Salary Scale, A3 Level (Range: $40,000 - $62,000).
Closing Date: applications will be received up to midnight April 7, 2013
As an Employment Equity Employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available, and the retiree possesses specialized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on screen and must be completed in order to be considered for this position.