Job Posting Date: May 2, 2013
Competition # : 13-087N
Supervisor, Bus Operations
Halifax Regional Municipality is inviting applications for the position of Supervisor, Bus Operations with Metro Transit.
Under the direction of the Manager Transit Operations, the Supervisor, Bus Operations is primarily responsible for: Management and leadership of Communications, Dispatch and Mobile Service Supervisors in a 24/7/365 transit operation; Coordination of conventional transit operations to ensure that service is monitored and operated efficiently, safely and on schedule; Customer Relationship Management (CRM) within and external to Metro Transit for operational and bus service delivery requirements; Conduct of service analysis, and recommendations for service changes and improvements; and Participation in the planning and development of transit facilities including bus stops, landing pads, shelters, transit terminals, and park & ride facilities.
Relationship management, project management, effective communications, and staff development are key areas for success in this position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directs, supervises, trains, coaches and mentors Service Supervisors; provides input to PDPs and makes recommendations for training and development; responsible for attendance management and progressive discipline;
- Develops and maintains Standard Operating Procedures for service supervision;
- Assigns service vehicles and ensures all vehicles are properly maintained;
- Augments Mobile Service Supervisors as required during inclement weather; acts as Service Supervisor occasionally when staffing levels demand;
- Administers the Service Supervisor annual vacation selection process;
- Projects staffing and equipment requirements; monitors availability and dispatch activity, and takes remedial action to ensure that all committed work is dispatched in accordance with existing policies, procedures, Spareboard staffing rules and provisions of the Collective Agreement with ATU 508;
- Investigates and reports on operator and service related complaints and compliments. Forwards findings to Employee Services Supervisors for appropriate action;
- Deploys staff and obtains approval from the Manager, Transit Operations to manage overtime within budgetary resources;
- Participates in service planning and the development of service improvements through studies and investigations on service matters;
- Analyses and reports on routine checks of bus passes, tickets, transfers, general fare collection;
- Reviews daily reports on road conditions, passenger counts, public information, service frequencies, and changing travel patterns and demands; makes recommendations on bus transit routing, service levels, placement of shelters, stops and signs for service planning and improvements;
- Coordinates with Transit staff and other HRM services for the planning, development, and construction (and removal when required) of bus stops, shelters, landing pads;
- Coordinates with HRM facilities, Municipal Operations, and planning development on the repair and maintenance of shelters, terminals and other facilities; organizes and monitors snow and ice removal;
- Maintains an effective working relationship with Local 508 of the Amalgamated Transit Union, and with other municipal services within the Halifax Regional Municipality (ie. Police Services, Fire & Emergency Services, Municipal Operations, etc.);
- Promotes a safe work environment. Maintains and inspects working areas daily and checks Safety equipment and records as necessary. Conducts quarterly OH&S workplace inspections and forward any concerns / issues to all relevant agencies for appropriate action. Develops tracks and reports on the results of any heat stress issues during summer;
- Other duties as required by the Manager, Transit Operations.
- Administers process for unpaid leave requests for operators while maintaining all operational staffing levels in order to meet service commitments.
Education and Experience
Knowledge and Expertise
- Certificate or diploma in business administration, public administration or a related field and five years of experience in an operations position with at least two years of experience supervising in a unionized environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience working in the transit industry an asset.
- Experience preparing clear, concise reports and recommendations.
- Experience analyzing data and working with spreadsheets.
- Eligible to obtain a valid Class 2 Nova Scotia driver’s license with air brake endorsement.
- Proficient in the use of common office software, such as word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation.
- Thorough knowledge of schedules, routings, fare structure, and operational policies and procedures are assets; training will be provided.
- Working knowledge of computerized AVL (Automated Vehicle Location) system along with Hastus Software is an asset; training will be provided.
- Thorough knowledge of radio communication procedures.
- Ability to work under pressure and make decisive decisions using sound judgment in emergency and other situations.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and manage priorities.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to interact professionally with colleagues, operators, other Supervisors, and Managers.
- Ability to effectively supervise a diverse workforce.
- Ability to interpret and manage the terms of a Collective Agreement.
In addition to specific experience and knowledge necessary for the job, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated strength in, but not limited to, the following HRM competencies:
Communication; Conflict Management; Initiative; Stewardship of Resources; Team Leadership; Developing Others; Valuing Diversity; Achievement Motivation; Decision Making; Risk Management; Customer Service; Analytical Thinking
Working Conditions/Working Hours:
- This position supervises (12-20) Service Supervisors
- Working during periods of inclement weather is also required, this could be after hours and on weekends.
- 35 hours per week. The daily scheduled hours for this position are Sunday to Thursday, 12:00 am to 8:00 am. Flexibility in working hours is required in order to meet operational requirements while supervising a 24 hours a day/7 day a week transit operation
- Requires work outside of regular hours and is rarely scheduled in advance.
- Being on call is required for this position.
M2 ($60,000 - $80,000) Salary will commensurate with education and experience. Closing Date:
applications will be received up to midnight May 13, 2013.
As an Employment Equity employer, the Halifax Regional Municipality is seeking to increase the representation of qualified racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities and Aboriginal persons in the workplace. HRM encourages applicants to self-identify.
Qualified HRM retirees may also be considered for competitions if other qualified candidates are not available and the retiree possesses specilized knowledge and/or a unique skill set not otherwise available. In these circumstances, a form of employment may be offered, including term and/or contract employment.
Please Note: Once you have submitted your resume, an on-line questionnaire(s) will appear on your screen which must be completed in order to be considered for this position.