HRM Bridging Program Student Opportunity
Facility Services, HRM Transportation and Public Works
Please Quote Competition # 13-092U
The HRM Bridging Program offers Internship, Co-ops and apprenticeship opportunities to students and recent graduates in their chosen field of study. The program is aimed at exposing recent graduates to work in the Public Service and to encourage recent graduates to choose Public Service as a viable career option. Under the Bridging Program, HRM is inviting applications for a temporary Apprentice Electrician position
Transportation and Public Works (TPW) consolidates both the critical and operational-based services that contribute to sustainable public infrastructure and transportation networks. This position will be with Facility Services. This division maintains over 200 Facilities in HRM, Transit Facilities, Parks depots, Community Centres and Administration Facilities.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Mechanical & Electrical Services, the Apprentice Maintenance Electrician will be assigned to a Journeyperson Maintenance Electrician (NSUPE) as per the Apprenticeship and Trades Qualifications Act. The Apprentice will receive on-the-job training in electrical maintenance, troubleshooting motor controls, telecommunications, assembly of new motor control circuitry, and the planning and layout of work to be carried to completion according to the latest edition of the Canadian Electrical Code. The work location is Cowie Hill, Halifax, NS.
Education and Experience:
• Must have Grade 12 or equivalent education and experience.
• Must have completed at least the 1st year apprentice electrician course from NSCC or equivalent and plan to continue towards a Certificate of Qualifications in the Electrical Construction trade issued under the authority of the Apprenticeship and Trades Qualification Act of Nova Scotia.
Job Specific Knowledge:
• Demonstrated ability to read and follow electrical drawings and schematics.
• Willing to upgrade and successfully complete training in electrical techniques and practices and related computer applications.
• Must have a valid N.S. Driver’s License with good driving record. Drivers abstract required prior to appointment.
• Good communication and writing skills.
• Good attendance and work record.
• Must be able to climb and work at high heights, including aerial devices experience.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Fire alarm panel experience an asset.
• Good working knowledge of Building Automation Systems.
• Good working knowledge of electronics.
• Knowledge of all applicable codes and demonstrated ability to apply the codes.
Work Term: HRM will be initially committed to the first two thousand (2000) hours towards your Journeyman certification process, which is subject to renewal for the next levels to up the full 8000 hours.
Rate of Pay: Based on Journeyman Certification Pay Rate
Closing Date: May 23, 2013
All applications/resumes should be sent directly to:
ATTN: Diane Moulton/ Debra Graham
Halifax Regional Municipality
P.O. Box 1749