Reporting to the Team Leader of the Corporate Law Department, you will be part of a team of assistants, providing administrative and software related support to Corporate Counsel. This position is a three month contract.
You will be accountable for:
· Calendar and file organization for lawyers and self: creation, organization and closing of physical files, maintaining filing systems, and updating eCounsel (comprehensive legal file tracking system), ensuring that documents and information are organized and accessible when required;
· Preparing and handling sensitive and confidential material;
· Assisting lawyers in the organization of their workloads, along with identification and implementation of procedures that could improve the effectiveness of daily operations, and managing daily matters for the lawyers.
· Anticipation of lawyers’ needs in preparation for projects and/or tasks;
· General administration: handling incoming and outgoing mail in a timely manner; photocopying and faxing documents; arranging meetings and facilities; making travel arrangements and submitting travel expense reports for the lawyers;
· Formatting, revision, occasional drafting, and proofreading of documents such as letters, memos, legal agreements and reports using a variety of software applications;
· Occasional research and data entry;
· Effectively working as part of a team of assistants by providing back-up; maintaining courteous and professional relationships with others in the department, as well as with the clients served by the department;
· Shared duties include: upkeep of library material and direction of phone calls to the appropriate party for handling;
· Demonstrating initiative in assisting the lawyers, as well as assisting in overall department tasks.
Required Competencies and Behaviours:
· Post secondary education is an asset with an administrative background or related work experience;
· Adept at learning new software programs: proficient working knowledge and experience with computer applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint;
· Excellent oral and written communication skills, particularly with strong grammar and spelling ability;
· Ability to deal appropriately with highly sensitive and confidential information as part of daily duties;
· Eagerness to learn about the organization and the products and services it offers;
· Ability to take direction and apply it to work tasks independently, yet demonstrate initiative when appropriate;
· Demonstrated strong organization and administrative skills;
· Ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities to meet deadlines and anticipate potential conflicts;
· Maintain professional demeanour;
· Legal background would be an asset, but is not required.