Technical Support Specialist - DBA
London, ON, CANADA;
Insurance ; Other Insurance Jobs, Technology and Digital Media ; Database Development and Administration
Insurance, Technology Services
Job Career Level:
Year(s) of Experience:
Number Of Positions:
Mar 19, 2013
The Technology Solutions Centre is part of the Shared Enterprise Services organization.
Within the Technology Solutions Centre, the DBMS and Content Management Technology Solutions domain offers products and services requiring in-depth expertise in the design, build, test, delivery, support and/or repair of solutions whose primary intent is to:
store and control access to structured data elements or objects
present information from diverse sources in a unified way
This domain includes physical data modeling and may include special-purpose database hardware and technologies. Scope includes relational and hierarchical multi-user database systems.
DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, IMS
Oracle Universal Content Management (UCM), Lotus Web Content Management (WCM)
As a part of the TSC DBMS/CMS team, you will have project involvement pertaining to architecture, design, and implementation of DBMS platforms with the addition of documentation for these designs to accommodate repeatable builds and production support. Responsibilities also reside within production support services, facilitating the resolution of problems that occur on a day to day basis, while contributing proactively to the team for reduction of future production issues.
The DBA- Technical Support Specialist role is responsible for participating in rotation of 7x24 hr support and consultation of the enterprise DBMS environments.
• Provide technical expertise to projects and support teams with emphasis on constructing solutions through integration of infrastructure and applications including 3rd party products
• Documents and educates other team members on database design and usage
• Ensures quality database implementations from the perspectives of reliability, availability, adaptability, manageability, maintainability, performance and security
• Expected to coach/mentor others and to focus on continuous learning and personal/professional development
• Detailed infrastructure design and development of technical specifications for target environment(s)
• Support target environments during build, testing, and implementation phases
• Document operational and recovery procedure
• Provide technology leadership to business partners and IS staff
• Resolution of day to day production issues
• Serves in a 1st on call rotation to provide after hours, weekend, and holiday, support to Application Support and Production Services teams
• A good understanding of DBMS platform and related Infrastructure configurations
• A solid working knowledge of SQL
• Proven infrastructure development experience
• At least one year of database design experience using DB2, Oracle, Sybase, or MS SQL Server
• Knowledge of more than one of these DBMS platforms
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to act in a leadership capacity with respect to advising on database technology directions on a project team
• A demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
• Effective internal consulting skills with a strong customer service orientation
• Attention to detail and effective planning and organizational skills
Interested candidates are invited to apply by March 28, 2013.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.