(10 month Assignment)
Reporting to the Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary, the Articling Student will perform professional legal work and provides timely, cost-effective and results-oriented legal assistance and representation on a variety of general and specialty legal issues.
Drafts and reviews legal documents, policies, procedures, position papers, reports, correspondence and memoranda, as required, on a wide variety of legal issues.
- Conducts legal research on a diverse range of legal matters (including corporate/commercial, real estate, corporate governance and legislative issues), as directed by Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary and/or Legal Counsel and provides legal assistance on the interpretation of same.
- Maintains an awareness of current provincial and federal legislation and regulations that may impact Metrolinx; Recommending and overseeing amendments to existing policies and procedures as a result of relevant legislative or regulatory changes.
- Attends meetings and participates in a variety of legal transactions.
- Responds to enquiries and collaborates with Vice President, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary and/or Legal Counsel on a wide range of legal files and issues.
20 Bay Street, Toronto
- Qualified LLB and/or JD Program student graduate, in good standing with an accredited Law School or candidates certified under the National Committee on Accreditation (NCA).
- Registered as a candidate in the Licensing Process under the Law Society of Upper Canada.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, with a keen eye for detail and the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with the ability to structure information clearly, concisely, and logically.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Interest in public administration, corporate/commercial and real estate law preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software, with particular expertise using MS Word.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online, no later than April 15, 2013
, quoting File Number 13-132
. ***After submitting their resume online, all candidates must submit a copy of their law school transcripts to: email@example.com
Please note that applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER