INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS ADVISOR
INNOVATION, PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
Located in the heart of downtown Edmonton, Alberta, NorQuest College is the post-secondary institution of choice for careers in health, community studies and business.We also offer academic upgrading, adult literacy and language training. We strive to help our students meet their academic and career goals by providing an inclusive, student-centred and exciting learning environment.
We value our employees in the same way we do our students. As an employer of choice we provide meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefit program, opportunities for growth and development, and a commitment to a work/life balance.
The Internal Communications Advisor is responsible for developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating integrated internal communication strategies in support of NorQuest’s goals and business initiatives to drive employee understanding, identification and alignment to the College’s vision and values. This position provides advice to project managers and senior College staff in the Transformation, College Services, and Teaching and Learning divisions, and brings communications expertise to cross-functional project teams.
The Internal Communications Advisor supports the Communications Manager in internal key messaging, corporate reputation management, media relations, issues/crisis management, and public relations for the college, as required.
Internal Communications Planning Strategies:
- Develop internal communication strategies, plans, and materials to communicate highly sensitive and important issues, strategies, and messages to employee groups within NorQuest.
- Support organizational change management programs with communications strategies.
- Undertake research, seek input to inform and evaluate communications programs.
- Advise management and provide coaching on how to effectively and consistently communicate key divisional/College-wide initiatives.
- Provide communications support for major internal College meetings and events.
- Assists the Communications Manager other communication planning efforts of the division, including internal issues management and key messaging.
Internal Coordination of Internal Communications Strategies:
- Liaison/work with project teams, the entire IPDC division, and other divisions to share ideas, brainstorm and implement communications plans.
- Involve other expertise within the division and other divisions in the design and implementation of communications strategies.
- Ensure communications plans are aligned with the overall College and IPDC plans.
Organizational Planning and Organization:
- Consult with internal clients, attend meetings, and contribute to the development of divisional plans.
- Participate in communications planning in support of the College goals.
- Participate and support regular scheduled meetings with the Communications Manager to discuss and set priorities, review work, set performance plans and review performance.
- Write articles, speeches, speaking notes and other communication materials.
- Research, develop and write variety of college internal communications materials including employee newsletter, and other materials, as required.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of corporate and divisional communications practices/procedures to ensure effective and efficient working processes.
- Contribute to the development, implementation, monitoring and adaptation of service linkages/protocols with other divisions and units to improve internal working relationships and to streamline service delivery.
- Contribute to the development, co-ordination and execution of strategies to ensure the widespread awareness and understanding by employees of the business of communication within the college, its relationship to the mandate of the IPDC division as well as how these functions contribute to the achievement of the college business plan.
- Assist with special projects such as employee events, as required.
- Assist with identifying new communication opportunities within the college and externally.
- A bachelor’s degree or diploma in communications, public relations, marketing, liberal arts, journalism. Related work experience with accreditation (CPRS, IABC) will be considered as equivalency.
- 3 to 5 years of relevant work experience, including direct experience with change management and employee communications.
- Experience working with senior level clients.
- The individual must have strong employee communications planning background with ability to develop informed and effective communications plans.
- Required to know and have experience with application of communication theories.
- Required to know and have experience with project management practices to manage the implementation of communications plans.
- Must have knowledge of and ability to use effective research methods to develop plans and evaluation methods to assess success of communications efforts and improve future communications endeavours.
- Must have understanding of design theory and the production process to ensure appropriate and high-quality execution of ideas supporting communications activities.
- Must be familiar with online communications methods.
- Strong and versatile writing and presentation skills. Must have knowledge of the media industry standards (i.e. editing rules and styles) to ensure the College is represented professionally in all publications.
SALARY: $47,736 – $62,019
COMPETITION NUMBER: P4642-11-12
CLOSING DATE: November 16, 2012
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply please continue with this on-line process at www.norquest.ca.