CALL NO. 12-110 (Non Union T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and/or testing.
Job Designation: Communications Assistant
Department: Strategy, Policy and Communications
Salary Range: $41,749 - $50,119
Temporary: This is a contract position lasting approximately 1 year.
Reporting to the manager, Corporate Communications, the communications assistant is responsible for assisting the communications team in developing and executing strategic communication activities that promote and raise awareness of town programs and services.
• Compile and edit internal communication materials including the CAO Update (monthly project update to Council), Council Highlights (a weekly online recap of Council meeting outcomes) eTalk (weekly staff e-newsletter),You Matter (quarterly online and hard copy newsletter) and daily media clippings and monitoring
• Provide communications advice and support in event planning, media relations, internal communications, print coordination, web writing and social media, graphic design, marketing and advertising
• Write and develop a variety of external communications materials including community advisories, news releases, speaking notes, brochure copy and presentations
• Review and edit communication materials for consistency of style, format, readability and accessibility
• Write and develop a variety of print and web-based communications materials
• Foster and maintain effective working relationships with diverse stakeholders both internal and external to the organization
• Identify potential issues via daily monitoring of media coverage
• Work collaboratively with the communications team to develop and implement communications strategies for specific town initiatives
• General administration
• Other duties as assigned
• One to three years of relevant experience in corporate communications, public relations, marketing and/or journalism
• University degree, diploma and/or post graduate certificate in communications or related field
• Superior writing and editorial skills, and proven oral communication skills
• Familiarity with CP Style
• Knowledge of online writing and presentation of content and how it differs from print
• Ability to clarify and communicate complex or technical information
• Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other appropriate applications
• Strong knowledge of graphic design software a definite asset (i.e.InDesign, Illustrator)
• Flexible and able to prioritize tasks and manage timelines in a fast-paced environment along with the ability to accept interruptions as part of the routine
• Good degree of judgment, initiative and discretion in dealing with sensitive political and client issues
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work independently and as a team player
Applications will be accepted online at www.oakville.ca
in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on December 12, 2012.
DATED: December 4, 2012
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3