CALL NO. 12-096 (CUPE 136T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Cemetery Operator II
Department: Parks and Open Space
Pay Grade: Band 6 (Schedule A)
Salary Range: $ 27.44 (Temporary 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
$ 28.04 (Full Time 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
Temporary: The duration of this contract will be approximately 8 months.
Contract commencement will range from April 2, 2013 – April 29, 2013.
This position reports to the Supervisor of Cemetery Services and under the daily direction of the Cemetery Operator I, this position performs duties relating to the operation of the Town Cemeteries. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established procedures and practices.
• Operates and directs the work of others in operating all equipment normally used for cemetery functions, including backhoe operation, property maintenance and development in a safe and efficient manner;
• Deals with the general public and Funeral Directors in a compassionate and business-like manner. Be respectful in all matters concerning burials or gravesite maintenance;
• On a back-up basis, coordinate the sale of cemetery plots and interments, and maintain all necessary records pertaining to plot sales, interments and other aspects of the cemetery operations;
• Keeps a necessary records regarding interments and other aspects of the cemetery operation under the direction of the Cemetery Operator I or in their absence;
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• A certificate or diploma in Horticulture from a recognized institution or equivalent is required.
• Minimum 1 to 2 years of previous experience in including experience in turf maintenance and the safe operation of related equipment. Previous cemetery operation experience preferred;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to cope with emotional stress involved in cemetery work are required;
• Knowledge of computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets and database management;
• Demonstrated effective leadership, organizational, communication, both oral and written, customer service and problem solving skills. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team;
• Must possess an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s Licence Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment;
• Please note that successful candidates, who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment;
• Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available for shift work and stand-by as required including weekends and nights, and expected to work Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays when funeral arrangements so require.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on December 28, 2012.
DATED: December 10, 2012
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3