CALL NO. 12-103 (CUPE 136T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Small Equipment Operator (5 positions)
Department: Parks and Open Space
Pay Grade: Band 4 (Schedule A)
Salary Range: $23.90 (Temporary 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
$24.50 (Full time 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
Temporary: The duration of this contract will be approximately 6 to 8 months.
Contract commencement will range from April 2, 2013 - April 29, 2013.
Under the direction of the Supervisor and/or Leadhand(s), this position is responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and service of Parks Operations equipment, and performance of physical labour as required. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established standard operating procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed during the performance of it.
• Operate various types of Parks maintenance equipment such as mowers, agricultural tractors, front-end loaders, all terrain vehicles, and small equipment, including all auxiliary attachments in a safe and efficient manner.
• Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments, keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, making daily circle checks and reporting defects and, if necessary, small repairs in a prescribed manner.
• Apply safety precautions and procedures in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Town of Oakville policies in the performance of all duties.
• Work under direction of the Leadhand and Supervisor, working weekly schedules with continued flexibility in taking on additional workload.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of High School education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
• Must be experienced in the operation of all above-mentioned equipment, have thorough knowledge of all maintenance aspects of the equipment and their attachments.
• Preference will be given to candidates having a minimum of 1 year's previous experience with machines and equipment used which includes: trucks, tractors, loaders, lawn type equipment.
• Must possess mechanical aptitude an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act;
• Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service skills;
• Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with limited supervision and to work as part of a team.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment;
• Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available for shift work as required.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on December 28, 2012.
DATED: December 10, 2012
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3