CALL NO. 12-104 (CUPE 136T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Sports Field Operator
Department: Parks and Open Space
Classification: Band 4 (Schedule A)
Salary Range: $23.90 (Temp 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
$24.50 (Full time 2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
Temporary: The duration of this contract will be approximately 8 months.
Contract commencement will range from April 2, 2013 - April 9, 2013.
This position reports to the Supervisor, Sports Field and IPM receiving daily direction from the Sports Field Leadhand. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established standard operating procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed during the performance of it.
• Organize resources, supplies, labour, tools, and inform the Sports Field Leadhand of anything required to carry out assigned tasks.
• Operate all vehicles, equipment, and tools in a safe and efficient manner and provide appropriate instruction to staff when necessary.
• Adjust maintenance schedules to efficiently carry out; fertilizing programs, turf renovation: aeration, over seeding, and topdressing, in accordance with current practices and cultural procedures.
• Familiarization with all official dimensions of playing surfaces; baseball diamonds, soccer pitches, football fields etc. as well as lining procedures and proper grooming procedures and requirements for safe playable surfaces.
• Ensure and assist staff in the safe and effective operation of grooming equipment.
• Ensure all surfaces are safe for daily use, and inform Leadhand of unsafe conditions.
• Daily cleaning of all areas; player’s benches, backstops, under bleachers.
• Make recommendations to the Leadhand regarding necessary spray programs.
• Apply pesticides as directed.
• Awareness and fulfillment of tournament requirements and needs. Carry out assigned tasks with minimal interfere with play.
• Proper installation and maintenance of home plates, pitching points.
• Keep accurate records of daily tasks and report back to the Sports Field Leadhand.
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Minimum of Grade 12 education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
• A Degree/Diploma/Certificate in Horticulture and/or Agriculture would be an asset.
• 1 - 2 years turf related experience demonstrating basic knowledge in Sports Field Maintenance and the ability to operate a tractor with appropriate attachments is required. A valid Ontario Ministry of Environment Landscape, Forestry & Industrial Vegetation Exterminator License is also required.
• Must possess an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service and problem solving skills.
• Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s Licence Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior as a condition of employment.
• Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available for shift work as required.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on December 28, 2012.
DATED: December 10, 2012
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3.