CALL NO. 12-105 (CUPE 136T)
• Recommend changes to established methods for new way of treating previously unknown tree disease and insect problems and propose new solutions to supervisors
• Diagnose insect and disease complaint on town street tree and make recommendations on appropriate treatment
• Perform inspection on trees and write work orders based on assessment
• Assist with the removal of small dead trees; perform minor pruning with hand saw or pruning pole for residents
• Submit and maintain records regarding all activities including work orders, schedules, and student timesheets
• Use town of Oakville tree management software, to data search and create word documents
• Schedule tree relocation or replacement and ensure safety of summer students
• Supervise part-time staff and instruct all support staff in the safe and efficient use, care and maintenance of all tools and equipment and arboricultural practices; audit work of contract services
• Apply and ensure crew members apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of duties and in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Ministry of Transportation’s Book 7
• Routinely maintain vehicles and equipment including: lubricating, clean and wash of trucks, trailers, chainsaws plows, trucks and hand tools.
• Performs other duties as assigned. QUALIFICATIONS:
• A Certificate or Diploma in Arboriculture or Forestry from a recognized institution and a certificate in the Trade of Arborist (Provincial designation) or an equivalent in education and experience.
• Applicants must have a minimum of 3 years of practical experience in urban forestry.
• Must possess mechanical aptitude an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service skills
• Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
Ability to work with limited supervision and to work as part of a team.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s Licence Class G minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour.
Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment.
• Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available to work a rotating shift, including weekend shifts as required.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on January 18, 2013.
• Must be physically fit. Demonstrations of the foregoing qualifications may be required through written, oral and practical examinations.