CALL NO. 12-106 (CUPE 136T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Utility Person I – Irrigation (Turf)
Department: Parks and Open Space
Classification: Band 5 (Schedule B)
Salary Range: $26.27 per hour (2012 rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
Temporary: The duration of this contract will be approximately 8 months.
Contract commencement will range from April 2, 2013 – April 29, 2013.
This position reports to the Supervisor Sports Fields & IPM receiving daily direction and guidance from the Irrigation Technician and is responsible for safely operating all tractors, vehicles, and attachments necessary to maintain park facilities and installation of new development projects. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established standard operating procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed during the performance of it.
• Performs routine maintenance procedures on existing park facilities and installation of new development projects, i.e. irrigation systems, steps, bridges, backstops, benches, signage, interlocking stone.
• Performs parks construction work involving; painting, landscaping, fencing, irrigation and building repairs.
• Assists in maintaining necessary records for monthly and yearly inspections of facilities.
• Informs and communicates all deterioration of Town Properties to Supervisor including vandalism.
• Operates all tractors, vehicles, front-end loaders and attachments and hand and power tools in a safe and efficient manner.
• Performs daily circle checks on equipment, making any necessary minor repairs in the prescribed manner, and scheduling any major repairs with the Supervisor. Inspection and/or completion of traffic safety plans as required.
• Repairs and maintains all tools and equipment ensuring they are clean and lubricated.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of Grade 12 education with Turf Management Courses or acceptable equivalent in education or experience. Successful completion of Irrigation Technologist and Confined Space Entry certifications are also required.
• 2 -3 years turf management experience including landscape construction, maintenance of fences, irrigation systems, and other facilities. Must possess 1-2 years experience in the operation of equipment such as tractors and attachments.
• Must possess an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Demonstrated effective communication, both oral and written, customer service and problem solving skills.
• Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior as a condition of employment.
• Must be willing to work a 40-hour workweek in varying weather conditions and be available for shift work as required.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on December 28, 2012.
DATED: December 10, 2012
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3