CALL NO. 12-107 (CUPE136T) REPOST
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Arborist l (4 positions available)
Department: Parks & Open Space Department
Salary Rate: $29.23/hour (Temp employee rate, 2013 rate to be determined)
Pay Grade: Band 7 (Schedule A)
Temporary: The duration of these contracts will be approximately 6 to 8 months.
Contract commencement will range from Feb. 4, 2013 – April 29, 2013.
Candidates who have previously applied to Call No.12-107 Arborist vacancies posted on December 18, 2012 to January 25, 2013 need not reapply, as your application will still be under consideration.
Note: Consideration may be given to applicants who do not possess the certification requirements highlighted below if a fully qualified candidate is not available in the applicant pool. A successful applicant without the pre-requisite certifications would be compensated at the Arborist II rate at $27.44/hour (Temporary employee rate).
These positions report to the Supervisor of Urban Forestry or Supervisor of Forest Health and is responsible for various activities related to urban forestry/arboriculture on Town properties. Principal duties include:
• Through a work order based system conduct assigned Tree Care including pruning, removal and cabling according to current policies and procedures and generally accepted arboricultural practice(s).
• Operate and performs maintenance of Town trees as part of a team with specialized equipment including aerial bucket trucks, chippers, chain saws and standard tree climbing equipment where required in a safe and efficient manner
• Maintain written records as required (i.e. tree maintenance work orders and activity cards).
• Duties include Hydro line clearing and grid pruning projects and woodlands tree maintenance and care, including diagnosing tree maintenance requirements.
• Required to participate on Fire Department call outs on 24/7 rotational basis, throughout the year, includes emergency storm management.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• A certificate or diploma in Urban Forestry/Arboriculture or related discipline from a recognized institution. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• 1-2 years of tree climbing experience and practical arboriculture work experience in addition to having a valid Crane Operator (0-8 tons) certificate and a “Safety in Line Clearing” certificate from the Electrical Utility Safety Association or equivalent such as a Line Clearing Awareness certificate from Hydro One.
• An ISA Certified Tree Worker designation, certificate in the Trade of Arborist (Provincial designation) and Certificate in the Trade of Utility Arborist are also requirements.
• Candidates must be knowledgeable in current accepted industry practices and be physically fit and able to work in varying climate conditions. Demonstrations of the foregoing qualifications may be required through written, oral and practical examinations.
• Candidates must also demonstrate effective communication skills, both oral and written, time management skills, flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties and ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team in addition to possessing an understanding of the Highway Traffic Act and knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
• Candidates must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior to assuming the position.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on March 1, 2013.
DATED: January 28, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3