Call No. 13-004 (NonUnion)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and/or testing.
Job Designation: Communications Advisor
Department: Strategy, Policy & Communications
Salary Range: $50,438 - $60,550
Pay Grade: 2
Duration: This is a contract position lasting approximately one year
Reporting directly to the manager of Corporate Communications and indirectly to the supervisor, Forest Protection, the Communications Advisor (CA) is responsible for providing communications consultation and support to the town. The CA will effectively develop and execute strategic communication activities and materials, to promote and raise awareness of the forestry division’s programs and services.
• Work collaboratively with communications team and internal clients to develop and implement communications strategies for specific town initiatives. In particular, the CA will work on planning, executing and evaluating a successful communications campaigns, and community outreach program for Oakville’s Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) management and urban forest conservation plans.
• Provide communications advice and support to clients including government relations, marketing/sponsorship, media relations, and internal communications
• Write and develop a variety of web-based/online (including social media) communications materials
• Plan and execute community events such as workshops and media opportunities
• Develop a variety of print communication materials including but not limited to brochures, news releases, advertisements, speeches, speaking notes and presentations
• Foster, engage and maintain effective relationships with diverse stakeholders both within the organization and external to it, often acting as a community liaison for town initiatives/programs. This includes leveraging other levels of government to support EAB and urban forest conservation efforts.
• Identify potential issues via daily monitoring of media coverage.
• Review and edit communication materials for consistency of style and format, and readability as required.
• Provide educated advice on EAB and urban forest conservation programs to internal and external audiences
• Other duties as assigned.
• Three to four years of relevant experience in corporate communications, public relations, marketing, and/or journalism.
• Municipal experience an asset.
• University degree, diploma and/or post graduate certificate in communications or related field.
• Good understanding of urban forest conservation or related field is an asset.
• Superb writing and editorial skills.
• Proven community outreach and social media skills.
• Ability to clarify and communicate complex or technical information.
• Flexible and able to prioritize tasks and manage timelines in a fast-paced environment along with the ability to accept interruptions as part of the daily routine.
• Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Open Text and other appropriate applications.
Applications will be accepted online at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on February 5, 2013.
DATED: January 29, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful candidates will abide by Ontario Health & Safety Legislation and follow Corporate Health & Safety Policies.
The Town of Oakville is an equal opportunity employer
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3