POSITION ID: 3501-003 CALL NO. 13-018 (CUPE1329)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and/or testing with a minimum pass mark of 80%.
Job Designation: Recreation Assistant Youth Services
Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre
Department: Recreation & Culture
Salary Range: $46,750 - $57,027
Pay Grade: 7
This position reports to the Oakville Recreation and Culture Department, Recreation Supervisor, and is responsible for the day to day operation of the Youth Centre; developing and administering the program for the centre; working with youth related agencies and community organizations in the delivery of youth programs and services.
• Provide direct supervision of the Youth Centre at the Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre
• Provide support to specialized and general recreation programming at QEPCCC, through collaboration of activities and sharing of resources (PD Days, holiday camps, Culture Days)
• Responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating youth-specific drop in activities, workshops and structured programs at QEPCCC
• Work with youth-related agencies and community organizations to deliver and promote youth programs and services.
• In consultation with the Recreation Supervisor works on youth-focused community initiatives
• Recruit, train, evaluate and supervise all part time Youth Centre staff and volunteers
• Develop monthly part time staff work schedules
• Provide ongoing leadership to part time staff and volunteers
• Works as part of the QEPCCC team to improve service levels and program delivery
• Maintain statistical data including daily attendance and membership database
• Provide on-going needs assessment and referrals for youth at the Youth Centre
• Assisting the Recreation Supervisor, in maintaining the operation of the youth centre including purchasing of supplies and inventory management
• Ensure effective health, safety and risk management procedures are followed
• Develop and maintain monthly program newsletter, Youth Beat, for distribution to the Halton community
• Adhere to Corporate Policies and Procedures
• Assist Recreation Supervisor with the development and implementation of a broader youth strategy.
• This position works non-traditional hours including afternoons, weekends and evenings
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Successful completion of Post Secondary Degree or Diploma in Recreation and Leisure, or equivalent related field
• A minimum of 2 years experience working with youth, teens and volunteers
• Experience with direct programming in a recreation setting
• Excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills and conflict resolution
• Successful candidates who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal reference check, with vulnerable sector screening, dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment
• Valid Standard First Aid and CPR Level C certification
• High Five certification.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on March 15, 2013.
DATED: March 1, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful candidates will abide by Ontario Health & Safety Legislation and follow Corporate Health & Safety Policies.
The Town of Oakville is an equal opportunity employer
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3