Job ID: 8410 CALL NO. 13-019PT (Co-Op)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and/or testing.
Job Designation: Student Engineering Assistant (3 positions)
Department: Engineering and Construction – Design and
Salary Range: $14.89 - $19.85 an hour
Hours: 35 hours per week
Term: One 8 month work term and Two 4 month work terms
commencing May, 2013
Reporting to the Manager of Design and Construction, this position is responsible for duties related, but not limited to assisting engineering staff on municipal rehabilitation and improvement projects for roads, culverts, bridges, lake shoreline, storm sewers, creeks and channels.
• Assist in the inspection and contract administration of municipal road construction projects and municipal water resources rehabilitation and improvement projects (creeks, channels, lake shoreline and storm sewers)
• Undertake field investigations of existing municipal water resources infrastructure and field components of environmental monitoring programs (i.e. retrieval of data from environmental monitoring stations)
• Maintain water resource databases
• Assist with engineering design and related calculations
• Prepare AutoCAD drawings, reports & presentation materials
• Assist in the preparation of tender documents and contract specifications
• Measuring quantity of work performed by the contractor, maintaining daily work records of events, inspection of materials used on the project
• Review of grades and alignment for compliance with engineering plans
• Preparation of contract item summary forms and compute contract payments
• Maintain daily written records of work-related activities
• Apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of all duties, in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Transportation Act and policies of the Corporation
• Communicate courteously with the general public and where necessary refer them to a permanent staff member
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Student enrolled in a university or community college program in Civil Engineering, Water Resources or Construction Engineering Technology
• Familiar with computer applications such as AutoCAD, Excel, Word, Database applications and GIS
• The successful candidate must have the ability to supply and use their own vehicle for town business
• Ability to deal with the public courteously and effectively
• Ability to understand and carry out verbal and written instructions
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability and willingness to work in varying climate conditions
Note: The successful applicants will be required to provide their own green patch work boots and raingear.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on March 8, 2013.
DATED: March 1, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Successful candidates will abide by Ontario Health & Safety Legislation and follow Corporate Health & Safety Policies.
The Town of Oakville is an equal opportunity employer
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resources, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3