CALL NO. 13-028 (CUPE 1329T)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo skills assessment and/or testing with a minimum pass score of 75%.
Job Designation: Landscape Technician
Department: Parks & Open Space Department
Salary Range: $51,366 - $62,656
Pay Grade: Grade 8
Temporary: This is a contract opportunity for approximately 6 months
Reporting to the Manager of Park Planning and Development, this position will be responsible for assisting the Landscape Architects with the implementation and administration of the Department’s capital improvements. Primary duties will include provision of CAD and GIS support, cost estimates, preparation of tender drawings and documents, and contract administration support for ongoing construction projects. This position will also ensure that files and records related to park planning and development are effectively managed.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Supports the Park Planning section, and the Department as a whole, with the preparation of computer-generated drawings and other related documents (specifications, reports, minutes, etc).
• Supports the Park Planning section by providing contract administration assistance as required; this may include site inspections, recording of minutes, and photo documentation.
• Administers minor park construction projects and ensures compliance to specifications and applicable standards.
• Attend meetings as representative of the Department and Park Planning section; this will include both internal and external meetings.
• Work with the Manager and Landscape Architects to help define future parkland needs.
• Liaise with Parks Operations staff, as required, for the purposes of adding new infrastructure, or replacement of existing facilities.
• Maintain public communication strategy by providing graphic support to the Town’s web pages, as they relate to Parks Capital projects.
• Deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner to promote a high standard of public relations at all times, respond to inquiries; receive, investigate, handle and/or refer complaints as required.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
A diploma or degree in landscape technology, or related program, with at least three years of related experience, preferably in a municipal work environment is required. An equivalent in education and experience may be considered. A diploma or degree in landscape architecture is an asset. This position would be well-suited to an OALA Associate member pursuing full membership status. Demonstrated proficiency in landscape design and contract administration is required. Practical knowledge of parks construction, operations, processes, machinery and materials is required. Sound knowledge of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and GIS (ArcMap) software is required. The successful candidate must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with strong organizational and analytical abilities. Customer service skills are essential. The successful candidate will have demonstrated competencies and technical knowledge in design and planning of parks and other open space systems. Travel to a variety of sites is required. The successful candidate will be required to supply their own personal vehicle for performing job duties / corporate business. A copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver's Licence Class G minimum with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour must be provided. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test as a condition of employment.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on April 30, 2013.
DATED: April 16, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3.