POSITION ID: 4010(up to 3 f/t vacancies) CALL NO. 13-050 (CUPE 136)
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment.
Job Designation: Labourer – Works (up to 3 positions available)
Department: Roads and Works Operations
Salary Rate: $24.20 per hour (probationary rate)
$24.50 per hour (fulltime rate)
Pay Grade: Band 4 (Schedule A)
Responsible for the safe operation, maintenance and service of Roads and Works equipment, and the performance of physical labour as required. The functions performed in this position are in accordance with established procedures and practices. Work is checked and reviewed as well.
• Picks up debris and litter from roadsides, creeks, parking lots, etc.
• Hand digs and back fills where necessary for storm sewer, catch basin and manhole repairs and assists in the placement of pipe, manholes and catch basins.
• Prepares ground by hand digging, raking and laying sod.
• Collects leaves, limbs and brush; rakes and cleans up areas.
• Hand shovels hot/cold asphalt; rough rakes; sweeps and cleans up for asphalt repair.
• Shovels snow and salts walkways as required.
• Implementation of traffic control plan and acts as a flag person on roadways
• Acts as a wing person on a snowplow, or may drive a sander or a plow during winter maintenance operations.
• Assists in the maintenance and seasonal conversion of equipment.
• Patrol roads, operate trucks, small equipment and tools as required.
• Maintains vehicles and equipment in a clean, tidy condition, making regular inspections, reporting defects, etc. in a prescribed manner.
• Will be required to work a rotating shift during the winter season and possibly required to work a weekend shift.
• Must be prepared for assigned periods of stand-by/on-call duties for overnights and weekends.
• Apply safety precautions and procedures in the performance of duties in accordance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and policies of the Town of Oakville.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of High School education or acceptable equivalent in education and experience.
• 1.5 years of previously related experience in operating various equipment and vehicles including: trucks, tractors, loaders, or winter control vehicles including snowplows, sanders and/or sidewalk plows.
• Ability to perform trouble shooting of equipment and hand tools. Some knowledge of mechanics and hydraulics.
• Must hold and provide a copy of a valid and unrestricted Ontario Driver’s License Class DZ minimum (standard and automatic transmission) with a driving record that demonstrates responsible and safe driving behaviour. Note: Applicants with 6 or more points are ineligible for consideration. The successful applicant, who is a new hire, will be required to provide the Corporation with a current drivers abstract (no older than 30 days) and pass a Town administered road test prior to assuming the position.
• Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act is required. Capable of understanding/following the requirements of the Ontario Traffic Manual, Book 7.
• Effective communication skills both oral and written. Proficient time management skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties. Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team. Effective customer service skills required in dealings with the public, contractors and staff.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on June 19, 2013.
DATED: June 12, 2013
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information collected from applications and resumes is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, 2001, and will be used to determine qualifications for employment. Questions about this collection of information should be directed to Human Resource Services, 1225 Trafalgar Road, Oakville, Ontario L6H 0H3.